Security FAQ and Security Best Practices
Choosing a strong password
Creating a strong password is the foundation of your data security. Make sure to follow these guidelines when making passwords:
- Use different passwords for different services
- Change your passwords often, either quarterly or biannually
- Use long phrases you can remember instead of a single word
- Selz passwords must be between 8 and 30 characters and contain one number, one uppercase character, and one lowercase character.
- Enable two-factor authentication
- Password generation apps can be a great way to keep things safe and secure.
Generating a unique password using a password vault
Because it can be difficult and tedious to remember many complex passwords, password vault apps like Passpack, LastPass, and Dashlane are excellent ways to generate and store passwords. You'll only need to remember the master password for the site.
Regularly changing your password
Updating your password on a bimonthly, quarterly, or biannual basis goes a long way to keeping things safe and secure.
Don't share passwords
Two-factor authentication is a security method that utilizes two separate devices or accounts to grant access to a system. When you set up a Selz account, you will also set up 2FA authentication, which will send a separate code to help you login into your account.
Avoid phishing scams
“Phishing” is an illegal attempt to "fish" for your private, sensitive data. Usually, this involves sending a fraudulent communication that appears to be legitimate. This is one of the more common causes of data breaches. If you think you're being targeted by a phishing scam, here's how you can report that to us.
Securing a compromised account
- Log into your Selz account and immediately change your password. If you can't log in, reset your password.
- Enable two-factor authentication for extra security at login.
- Check your banking details for Selz Pay or PayPal to identify any fraud.
- Review your general account settings to make sure all other information is correct.
- Follow government guidelines to protect your identity and sensitive information. Information for the US can be found here.
Selz provides security bounties for security breaches on a case-by-case basis. We reward security researchers who help us keep people safe by reporting vulnerabilities in our services. Monetary bounties for such reports are entirely at our discretion and are based on factors such as importance and impact. You can learn more about this here.