Setting and resetting download limits
Setting and resetting download limits is a good way to protect your digital products.
On this page
Setting download limits
If you are selling digital files (like eBooks or apps) then you might want to limit the number of times they can be downloaded or the period of time they are available for download.
The same applies if you are streaming (renting) videos. You might want to limit your customers to only be able to watch your video a fixed number of times or for a fixed number of days. For more about selling and renting videos, read here.
How to set download limits
- Log in to your account
- From your dashboard, go to Settings > Digital in the left navigation panel
- Set your download limits:
- The numbers you choose here will apply to all your digital products whether they are a downloaded or streamed product
- You will see the default settings in this window. Go ahead and adjust them to your liking.
- You can also select the Unlimited option to allow customers to download your product an unlimited amount of times and/or access the download/stream link for an unlimited number of days
- Click Save
Resetting download limits
It happens to the best of us: we sign up for a course or buy an ebook, then totally forget to download it until months pass by.
Chances are, if you're selling digital products online, you'll run into some of your own buyers who forget to download their products within your set download limits.
No worries! As the seller, you have full control over the download limits associated with your products. Here's how to reset your download limits for buyers who need extra time to access their product.
How to reset download limits
- Log in to your account
- When you're in your account, click on Orders in the left-hand nav panel
- Once on your orders page, search for the order you'd like to reset the download limits for by entering any of the following details:
- dates purchased
- payment processor (Selz Pay or PayPal)
- order ID
4. Now that you've found the order you want to reset download limits on, click on the order number to open the order details page. The order details page gives you all the information regarding the order, including a reset download button.
5. Click on the Reset button in the Digital Purchases section:
- Each link that we issue is unique to the transaction, secure, and will only give download access to the files specified in your product listing
- The ability to download the file will expire once all download attempts have been used up, or the allocated time frame has expired - whichever comes first
6. Once your downloads are reset, let your buyer know they can access the download link from their original order confirmation email(s).
If they do not have the original order email confirmation, you as the seller can resend it.
The download links can be re-sent by selecting Send invoice in the dropdown menu as shown: